Use water sensibly
- Always use a twist or trigger nozzle when using your hose.
- Use a timer with your sprinkler or irrigation system and be mindful where you position it so that you are watering plants, not paved areas.
- Use a cover on permanent and portable pools to prevent evaporation and use appropriate chemicals to keep the water fresh.
- Use a broom and/or bucket to clean hard surfaces such as footpaths and driveways.
- Wash your car/boat/caravan on an area of lawn where possible.
- Shorten your shower. Contact us for a free shower timer to make this easier.*
- Check out our smart water play ideas to keep your kids cool and your water use low. If your children like to play under the sprinkler, or they have toys that attach to the hose, they can use these to keep cool. Use a timer and don’t forget to turn the water off at the end.
- Use water from your rain water tank or grey water wherever possible.
- Check out our water saving tips for more ideas on how to be smart with water.
What is a sprinkler?
What do we mean by hand-held hosing?
What is grey water?
What is a rain water tank?
Got another question? See FAQs
*Hamilton City Council and Waipā District Council areas only.