Reduce non-essential water use
- Alternate days means residents whose street address number is even can use their sprinkler systems between 6am-8am and 6pm-8pm on days with even dates (i.e. 30 January, 2 February, 4 February etc). Odd letter box numbers can use their sprinkler systems between 6am-8am and 6pm-8pm on days with odd dates (i.e. 31 January, 1 February, 3 February etc).
- Always use a twist or trigger nozzle when using your hose.
- Use a timer with your sprinkler or irrigation system and be mindful where you position it so that you are watering plants, not paved areas.
- Use a cover on permanent and portable pools to prevent evaporation and use appropriate chemicals to keep the water fresh.
- Use a broom only to clean hard surfaces such as footpaths and driveways (except for health and safety reasons).
- Wash your car/boat/caravan on an area of lawn where possible, using a bucket instead of a hose or water blaster. If available, use a commercial car wash that recycles water.
- Shorten your shower. Contact us for a free shower timer to make this easier.*
- Check out our smart water play ideas to keep your kids cool and your water use low. If your children like to play under the sprinkler, or they have toys that attach to the hose, they can use these at any time on the lawn or in a garden. Use a timer and don’t forget to turn the water off at the end.
- Re-use water from your rain water tank or greywater wherever possible.
- Check out these water saving tips for more ideas on how to be smart with water.
The alert levels apply to all residential and commercial* customers on Council water supply.
Note: At Alert Levels 1&2, water restrictions apply to businesses and commercial customers (including schools and childcare centres) where water is being used for non-core business purposes. E.g. using a sprinkler to water a garden or shrub outside a lawyers office building, school or restaurant. The core business is providing legal advice, education and food – not gardening/landscaping. At Alert Levels 3 &4, restrictions apply to all commercial customers regardless of business.
*Hamilton City Council and Waipā District Council areas only.