Take all practical steps to reduce your water use
- Switch off irrigation systems and prioritise watering fruit and vegetables only.
- Always use a twist or trigger nozzle when using your hose. Where practical, use a bucket or watering can.
- Use a cover on permanent and portable pools to prevent evaporation and use appropriate chemicals to keep the water fresh.
- Use a broom instead of water to clean hard surfaces such as footpaths and driveways (except for health and safety reasons).
- Do not wash windows, buildings and cars unless safety is an issue. If water is required, use a bucket instead of your hose or water blaster.
- Shorten your shower. Visit your council reception & ask for your free shower timer to make this easier.**
- Check out our smart water play ideas to keep your kids cool and your water use low.
- Use water from your rain water tank or greywater wherever possible.
- Check out these water saving tips for more ideas on how to be smart with water.
*Note: At Alert Levels 3 &4, restrictions apply to residential and all commercial customers regardless of business.
**Hamilton City Council, and Waipā District Council areas only.